Recently, I was called to a home in Athens, GA to perform a mold inspection. The owner had been experiencing headaches and had determined that they were associated with something inside the home. In this case, the assumed cause was mold, hence the mold inspection. Sometimes mold is the culprit and, if so, is typically easy to find. I always begin with the area of the customer’s greatest concern. If that does not reveal the problem, I will then start looking for anything that is a known irritant and proceed from there.
In this case, I had already noted a few visual and odor-apparent sources. First, the cigarette smoke was extreme, and second, the home was incredibly dusty. With these factors in mind, I began the thorough search in the crawlspace, looking for mold, mammal urine and feces, chemicals, crawlspace odors, or any other possible issues in previous inspections. Next, I walked through every room of the home: looking, smelling and testing for other potential causes of the customer’s discomfort. Still, through the course of this mold inspection I could not detect any other probable sources. I began probing the customer, which further revealed to me that the symptoms went beyond the headaches. There were breathing issues as well.
With this, I concluded that it was time to create a plan that would eliminate the current, identified issues – the cigarette smoke and dust – so that they no longer were a contributor. Then, if still necessary, we could create a course of action that would identify the next step in solving this mystery.
The point being: it seems that most of our mold inspections are for customers that call us with symptoms and automatically assume that mold is the source when, typically, mold has nothing to do with it.
Do you have health issues that you just assume are mold-related? If so, I challenge you to think outside the box. You may be surprised what you find.
Still concerned? Learn more about our mold inspection services, and please contact us for more information.