Mold Symptoms

Do you suspect there is mold in your house that is making you or a member of your family sick? Maybe the symptoms fade or disappear when you leave the house, only to come back when you return. Perhaps you are dealing with persistent symptoms you have not been able to explain.

Mold is a common cause of many symptoms you may be experiencing.

Mold is naturally occurring in the air. When it is able to attach to surfaces in your home and reproduce, it starts causing health issues.

Because not everyone reacts to mold the same way, it can be difficult to convince others in your home to take the mold threat seriously.  One person in the home may be sick, and others may have no reaction at all.

Some people are more sensitive to the effects of mold than others, but everyone should avoid breathing or touching mold or mold spores. The longer you ignore the mold, the worse the symptoms—and the illnesses—are likely to get.

Allergic Reactions or Worse

Allergic reactions from mold in your home are common and may range from mild to severe. Here are some of the most common ones we see:

  • Headaches
  • Chronic Fatigue
  • Fever
  • Eye Irritation
  • Sneezing
  • Rashes
  • Coughing
  • Sinus Irritation

In addition to these common symptoms, exposure to toxic mold has been linked to more serious, long-term effects such as:

  • Memory Loss
  • Insomnia
  • Anxiety,
  • Depression
  • Confusion
  • Trouble Concentrating

Many of these more serious symptoms are produced by something called mycotoxins.

Mycotoxins

Mycotoxins are present on mold spores and are released into the air you breathe. As the name suggests, mycotoxins are toxic and capable of causing serious disease. The seriousness of negative health effects from mycotoxins depends on a number of variables including their concentration, duration of exposure and your own sensitivity.

Black mold and other varieties can produce mycotoxins, some of the most toxic substances in existence.

Mycotoxins enter your body through your eyes or are absorbed through your skin. Prolonged exposure to mycotoxigenic molds can cause cancer, pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary bleeding, neurotoxicity, hematology and immunologic disorders, and cardiac conditions.

Diagnosing The Problem

You could spend months or even years trying to discover the nature of an illness, including costly visits to medical specialists, only to discover that the issue was environmental all along. When you’re looking to pinpoint answers to chronic health issues, an Indoor Air Quality Assessment can be just as important as doctor visits.

Your Next Steps

If you suspect that mold is the source of your symptoms, the first step is to have your home checked by a professional. Our Indoor Air Quality Assessments are designed to evaluate every nook and cranny of your home… from the crawlspace to the attic and everywhere in-between. You will be provided a complete report detailing where we found issues and recommended fixes.

After you have identified the areas in your home that have mold, the next step is to clean it up! This may require some light cleaning, or more extensive remediation may be necessary.

After removing the mold, you will want to take care of the moisture source that created the problem. This could mean fixing a water leak, correcting drainage, or controlling humidity. It’s important to fix the problem so your mold does not return.

The last step is to heal your body. The symptoms you are experiencing may go away as soon as the mold is removed, or you may need to work on cleansing the toxins from your body.

A holistic healthcare provider can be a great resource for unwinding the effects of mold exposure. Some of our favorite DIY tips can be found here.

We’re Here When You Need Us.

At Branch Environmental, we are passionate about helping you live a better life by creating safer indoor environments.

We’re experts not only at mold removal, but at determining and remediating the underlying causes. From hidden mold sources to major contaminants, we can identify exactly what is going on in your home and rid it of environmental toxins, often for good.