Why You May Need An Asbestos Inspection
Asbestos is a very common component of many building materials. Homeowners, landlords, and contractors are required to have an asbestos survey completed prior to any project that will potentially disturb asbestos fibers. For every demolition and renovation project an asbestos inspection is required.
When Do You Need An Asbestos Inspection?
The US Environmental Protection Agency and Georgia Department of Natural Resources (Environmental Protection Division) are responsible for the laws and regulations concerning Asbestos. Local building departments will often require proof of compliance when you are obtaining a permit for work.
According to the State of Georgia EPD:
“Owners and operators of a demolition or renovation activity, must thoroughly inspect the affected facility or part of a facility where the demolition / renovation operation will occur, for the presence of friable and non-friable asbestos, including Category I & II non-friable asbestos containing material (ACM). This should be done prior to the commencement of the activity.”
All that is to say: you must inspect any demolition or renovation project for asbestos before you begin disturbing material. Even if your county does not ask for your asbestos survey when you get a permit, Georgia laws still apply to your project. It is a common misconception that there is a cut off year for properties that must be inspected.
In addition, you may have circumstances that would cause you to want to test your own home or workplace for asbestos outside of planned renovations. We will be happy to discuss a custom asbestos survey plan for needs other than regulatory compliance.
How Much Will An Asbestos Survey Cost?
That depends on the type of project you have planned. All asbestos surveys include submission of samples to an accredited laboratory for PLM analysis. Our base prices assume standard access to the property with no atypical hazards. Standard turnaround time is one week.
The cost of your asbestos inspection is determined by the base fee + samples collected + additional fees.
- The base fee is the cost of the inspector’s site visit and preparation of your survey report. This amount varies based on the type of inspection you need. Commercial vs. residential, demolition vs. remodel, and size of the structure are all items that will determine your amount. When you call to schedule your inspection, we will determine the category of your project and tell you your base fee.
- Each sample collected is invoiced at $27 for standard turnaround. See below for an idea of how many samples may be required.
- Additional fees may apply for rush delivery, extended travel, etc. We will discuss any additional fees that apply to your inspection when you schedule.
Every job is unique. We will work to identify suspect material, and take only as many samples as necessary for a thorough report. While we can not guess how many samples will be needed prior to seeing your project, here are some general estimates that will help you understand the scope:
- Bathroom renovation: ~5 samples
- Multi-room residential renovation: ~10 – 25 samples
- Residential demolition: ~15+
- Commercial projects: Call for Estimate
What Materials Will Be Tested?
Most any material that is NOT wood, metal, or glass has the potential to contain asbestos fibers. The most common materials a residential renovator will encounter are joint compound, ceiling textures, vinyl flooring, and pipe insulation. We will use our expertise and experience to identify materials that require sampling.
Commercial projects may have other unique materials based on the type of building.
Can I Drop Off My Own Materials To Be Tested?
Absolutely. While you will not receive an Asbestos Site Survey, we will be happy to send any material you bring us to the laboratory for analysis. The report you receive will be limited to the presence or absence of asbestos in the sample material, and will not make further assumptions about the property where the sample originated.
We’re Here When You Need Us
Remember, the state of Georgia requires that an asbestos survey be completed on any structure, regardless of age, prior to renovation or demolition. Call Branch Environmental. We’re experts at asbestos removal with over 25 years of experience. Our AHERA accredited inspectors will help you determine the appropriate sampling plan for your project. Our goal is to move your project forward without wasting money, while keeping you safe and in compliance with all applicable regulations. Let us help you navigate asbestos inspection or abatement. Call us or click here to schedule an inspection today!
Branch Environmental – Because nobody should live or work in a building that makes them sick.
For more information go to:
- Asbestos Professionals | Asbestos | US EPA
- Asbestos Notification Requirements | Environmental Protection Division – Georgia EPD
- How To Follow Asbestos Regulations – Branch Environmental
- What Is Asbestos?– Branch Environmental
- Can I Put a New Floor Over Asbestos Tiles? – Branch Environmental
- When Do I Need an Asbestos Inspection? We’ve Got Your Answer! – Branch Environmental
Blog information is NOT intended to provide or replace medical advice. NO information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.
*We are an Amazon affiliate company and we do occasionally receive compensation for products that you purchase through links on our website.
Suggestions for products to use are just that, suggestions. You know yourself and your home best. Please do your own research on any product you use in your home or on your skin, and learn all the facts for yourself. Thank you.